Prawns in Pickling spices
Here’s a recipe for prawns in pickling spices. It is spicy and sour, due to the addition of vinegar. You could use either malt vinegar or white vinegar. The precaution to be taken is to not overcook the prawns otherwise they will turn rubbery and chewy.
- 500gm Prawns
- 3tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 large Onions
- 1tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 8 whole Red Chillies
- 2tsp Coriander Seeds
- 100 ml Tomato Puree
- 1tbsp Ginger, chopped
- 2Green Chillies
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1tbsp Vinegar
- 1tsp Achari Masala (equal quantities of Cumin, Fenugreek, Onion, Mustard and Fennel Seeds)
- Devein the prawns. Chop the ginger and green chillies.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Broil the seeds for the Achari masala on a hot tawa till lightly coloured and fragrant.
- Coarsely grind the red chillies, achari masala and coriander seeds.
- Heat the oil till smoky hot. Remove from heat and allow oil to cool down. Once again heat the oil to medium hot.
- Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until golden brown.
- Add garlic paste, stir for 15 seconds, add the pounded spices and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree and bring to a boil.
- Add the ginger and green chillies, reduce to medium heat and saute until the fat leaves the masala.
- Now add the prawns. Cover and cook for 3-4minutes on low flame. Uncover and continue to saute until the fat leaves the sides and the prawns are cooked.
- Adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle garam masala, vinegar, and stir. Serve hot.