Chettinad Flavored Mutton with Caramalised Onion Walnut Chutney and Iddipams
The flavours of South on your plate
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
- Difficulty: medium
Recipe Ingredients: for Chettinad Mutton:
- Mutton cut into small pieces – 1 kg
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Onion chopped finely – 2(large)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Tomato sliced – 2
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – as needed
Recipe Ingredients: for Grinding:
- Shallots(Kunjulli) – 7-8
- Ginger – 1 inch size piece
- Garlic pods – 7-8
- Cinnamon(Karuvapatta) – 2 pieces
- Cloves (Grambu) – 4 nos
- Fennel seeds(Perumjeerakam) – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds(Jeerakam) – ½ tsp
- Pepper corns(Kurumulagu) – 3-4
- Chilly Powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Grind all the above ingredients into a coarse paste and keep it aside.
Recipe Ingredients for Iddipams:
- 1 and ½ cup rice flour
- 2tbsp refined oil
- Hot water
Recipe Ingredients for Walnut Onion Dip:
- 1 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- salt and pepper
- Marinate the mutton pieces in the ground paste and salt for 30 mins.
- Heat little oil in a pressure cooker,add the marinated mutton pieces and cook until the mutton becomes tender(upto 4-5 whistles).
- Heat oil in a different pan and allow mustard seeds to splutter.Add in curry leaves and onions and saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and saute until they become soft.Finally add the cooked mutton pieces and fry it till the oil seperates.
- In a big bowl put the rice flour, salt and oil.
- Put hot water a little at a time and mix quickly with the back of a wooden ladle.
- Add enough water to make a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough with your hand and immediately put in a iddiapam press or a press used to make seviyan or sev.
- Press out the seviyan like idiappams on a plate and stem for 10-12mins.
- Place the toast in a food processor and process into fine crumbs, with the motor running, add the walnuts and garlic and process until they are ground fine.
- Add the remaining ingredients with the motor running and process until smooth, adding more water if the mixture seems too thick.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately ot it will turn dark in color.
Share This Recipe