Pastry containers with chicken and mushroom filing
Bouchées are small flaky pastry “containers” garnished with a dollop of a savoury velouté mixture bound together with a creamy white sauce. The pastry casing (vol au vents) are baked first, and when cooked the top is cut off and kept as “hats” for the shells. The shells are then filled with a white sauce or veloute garnish.
- 250 g chicken breasts or tenders, diced
- 200 g white button mushrooms, diced
- 40 g tablespoons butter
- 30 g flour
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 100 ml heavy cream
- 12 vol au vents shells
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces
- Heat some oil in a large sauté pan and cook the chicken for about 5 minutes.
- Finely dice the mushrooms.
- In a casserole or pot, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the warm chicken stock while whisking. Cook for a few minutes till the sauce thickens.
- Season to taste.
- Pour in the cream and add the chicken and the mushrooms.
- Divide the mixture equally between the vol au vents shells.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve.