Pineapple Upside Down Cake
A rich caramel and pineapple cake
It is sinfully good! The caramel and butter kick up the sweetness of pineapples in this cake that is cooked with the pineapples down and then turned over to get them up. In the process- the cake gets soaked with the all the heavenly flavours!
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- Difficulty: medium
- ¼ cup butter
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 slices pineapple from can, drained
- 9 cherries
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Sieve together the flour, baking powder, salt and the baking soda thrice.
- Heat oven to 175°C.
- In 9-inch square pan, melt butter in oven.
- Sprinkle sugar evenly over melted butter.
- Arrange pineapple slices over the sugar. Place a cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
- In a medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- Bake for 30 -35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over.
- Leave pan over cake a few minutes so the sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan.
- Serve warm.
- Store cake loosely covered.