Red Velvet Cupcake
Classic red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
These cupcakes are moist and flavourful, with a hint of cocoa and a slight buttermilk tang. Topped with a cream cheese frosting, it Although they are perfect for any time of the year, they especially shine out for Valentine’s Day and Christmas!
- 2 ½ cups Flour (all purpose, sifted)
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp. Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 120gm Butter
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1tsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp. baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 50ml Red Food Colour (two bottles)
- For the Frosting:
- 225g Cream Cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven up to 180 degree.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix food colour and cocoa powder to form a fine paste using water/milk.
- Blend butter, sugar until soft & fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, vanilla, red cocoa paste & mix thoroughly.
- Add flour mixture to the butter in batches mixture, beat well adding buttermilk alternatively.
- Mix vinegar and baking soda in another bowl.
- Add the mixture to the cupcake batter and stir well.
- Divide batter between cupcake tray and bake for 25-30 minutes until the toothpick placed in cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcake in tins for 10 minutes and then on a wire rack and then remove it for frosting.
- Whip the whipping cream on medium speed till it comes to a stiff peak stage.
- Place the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl, and mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing until smooth.
- When all the powdered sugar has been added, turn the speed up to medium-high and beat for one or two minutes, or until fluffy.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Fill in a piping bag with a star nozzle attached.