Paneer in Rich Cashew Gravy
What is an Indian table without Paneer! This here is a rich paneer recipe from the royal kitchens of India. It is smooth, creamy, nutty, enriched with Saffron, Cashew, Khoya (reduced milk), Cream and Spices.
- 200g paneer cut into cubes
- 25 gm Cashew nuts
- 2tbsp melon seeds
- 1 large onion
- 1” ginger
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1” Ginger, julienned
- 1tsp black pepper powder
- 50 gm whisked curd
- 1tsp yellow chili powder
- A pinch of saffron
- 1bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- 2” cinnamon stick
- 50g khoya
- 1tsp green cardamom powder
- 100ml Cream
- Salt according to taste
- 2tbsp oil + to fry
- ½ tsp sugar
- Deep fry the paneer cubes to a light golden color and soak in 1 cup water.
- Bring to boil roughly chopped onions, ginger, garlic, cashews and melon seeds in 2 cups water and then simmer till the onions and garlic loose the raw smell and are thoroughly cooked, approx. 12 minutes.
- Cool and grind to a fine paste.
- Heat oil, add the whole spices and allow them to splutter.
- Add finely grated khoya and saute over low heat for 3-4 minutes till it comes to an almost runny state.
- Add the powdered spices and mix well.
- Add cashew nuts paste, saffron, sugar, salt to taste and cook for a few minutes. Add the whisked yoghurt mixing well to prevent the yoghurt from curdling. Cook over low heat further for 5 minutes or till the gravy begins to thicken.
- Drain the paneer cubes and add the paneer cubes to the gravy.
- Finish with fresh cream, ginger juliennes and a sprinkling of the garam masala.
- Mix well, adjust seasoning, simmer another 2 minutes and remove from fire.
- Serve hot garnished with cream.