Yellow Pigeon Peas tempered with Onion, Tomatoes & Spices
One of the most loved dals all over the country is the split pigeon peas commonly known as Arhar dal or Toor or Tuvar dal. It is the base for Sambhar and Dal Tadka and Dal Fry. The best Dal fry one can have would be in a Dhaba! And the secret to the delicious dal fry is the addition of red lentils or Malka Masoor dal to make the texture even better! Of course, that the tempering is done in Desi Ghee adds on to the flavours!
- 1 cup arhar/ toor/ tuvar dal
- ¼ cup red masoor dal
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp desi ghee +1 tbsp
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ tsp finely chopped green chilies
- ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafetida
- 2 whole dry red chilies
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- Wash and soak the two dals for 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dals with the turmeric powder, 3 cups water and salt to taste for 8 minutes or till the dal is completely cooked and mushy when pressed with a spoon.
- Heat the ghee in a pan.
- To moderately hot ghee, add the cumin seeds, asafetida, broken whole red chilies and allow the cumin seeds to splutter.
- Add the chopped garlic and saute till a light pink.
- Add in the chopped onions and cook over moderate heat till almost golden in color.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are pulpy.
- Add in the dal and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and remove the dal from heat.
- Transfer to the serving dish.
- Heat the remaining ghee to moderate heat.
- Add in the red chili powder and mix. Immediately pour over the cooked dal.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.