Puffed fried breads with black lentil stuffing
Any special occasion in North India will seem incomplete without the ‘Katchoris’ being served on the table. Be it a festival, guests at home, puja bhoj, it is bound to be there! It is what the puri is not- special! Not an everyday meal, it goes excellent as a snack and in UP, it is sold and served as the ideal breakfast especially when paired with a very spicty potato bhaji and Jalebis on the side!
- 1 cup husked Black Gram split lentils (dhuli urad dal)
- 3 cups refined Flour
- 4tbsp Clarified butter + oil to deep-fry
- A pinch of asafetida
- 2 green Chilies (chopped)
- 1 inch piece of Ginger (chopped)
- 1tsp Raw Mango Powder
- 1tsp Garam masala
- 1tsp Cumin seeds (coarsely powdered)
- ½tsp Red Chili powder
- 1tspCoriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash the lentils well and soak in three cups of water for three to four hours.
- Drain and grind coarsely without adding any water.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a frying pan, add asafetida, green chilies, ginger, Garam masala, mango powder, red chili powder coriander powder and cumin seeds.
- Mix well and add salt to taste.
- Add the dal paste.
- Mix and continue to sauté on low heat for 10-12 minutes till mixture is dry. Remove from heat and divide into marble sized balls.
- Rub in the clarified butter and salt to taste into the flour.
- Knead into a stiff dough using little water.
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes and lightly knead for another minute.
- Divide dough into lemon sized balls and roll into small balls.
- Flatten to a disc and stuff a portion of the mixture.
- Pick the dough from the sides to completely encase the mixture. Pinch the dough well to seal it well.
- Shape into a ball and roll out into three-inch discs so that they are thinner around the edges and thicker in the center.
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan.
- When moderately hot, add a few kachoris.
- Reduce the heat to low and Continue to fry on low heat, turning kachoris once or twice till crisp and golden.
- Drain onto an absorbent kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with any pickle, chutney or sauce of your choice.