Dal Masoor Musallam
Whole lentils cooked with spices.
This recipe comes from the kitchens of the Awadhi nawabs! Musallam means whole. Here the unhusked lentils are cooked to perfection with spices, yoghurt and ghee.
- 250g masoor dal (whole lentils)
- 1tsp garlic paste
- 1” ginger piece
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamoms
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 200g sieved curd
- 3 tbsp desi ghee (clarified butter)
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp red chili powder
- Pick, wash and soak the lentils for 30 minutes in lukewarm water.
- Finely slice the onion. Heat 2tbsp ghee in a patili. Add the onions and fry till golden. Remove and set aside.
- To the same ghee add the cloves, cardamom and the cinnamon stick.
- Drain the lentils and add to the pan. Add the fried onions.
- Add the chili powder, garlic paste, salt and stir well. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame, cover and cook till the lentils are soft and cooked (approx. 30 minutes). Add more water if required.
- Add finely chopped ginger and the sieved curd and mix well.
- Keep stirring till the mixture comes to a boil (do not raise the temperature). Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a ladle. Add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, immerse the ladle in the cooked lentils and cover immediately. Keep covered for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with plain boiled rice or roti or paratha.