Pickles are an important accompaniment on any Indian table. Here is a recipe of an easy to do pickle made with Garlic. It has a shelf life of more than 6 months when stored in a clean bottle.
- ½ cup Mustard oil
- 1 cup Garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 3 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp White Vinegar
- Grind together the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds to a fine powder.
- Heat the oil to smoke point and cool to medium hot.
- Add in the garlic cloves and saute for a minute.
- Remove from flame and cool.
- Add the powdered spices, red chili powder, salt, turmeric, vinegar and mix well.
- Fill in clean sterilised glass bottle and close lid.
- Set aside for 3-4 days, shaking every day to mix well.
- Ready to eat in 3 days.