Indian style ice cream served in earthen pots
Thickened, sweetened milk was sealed in conical molds and then put in a large earthen pot- Matka, with ice and salt and the pot shaken till the kulfi would set. That was Matka kulfi! These a days, it stands for kulfi that is frozen and served in tiny single serve matkas!
- 500ml milk + ¼ cup
- 1 cup sugar
- 3tbsp khoya
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 1tsp green cardamom powder
- 1tbsp pistachios
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp almonds
- Pour the milk into a pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring continuously for 20 minutes.
- Cook till the milk is reduced to around half.
- Dissolve the cornflour in ¼ cup milk. Add the khoya, corn slurry and sugar to the milk and cook for another 4-5 minutes till the milk thickens. Remove from the heat.
- Blanch the nuts in hot water. Drain and peel the almonds and pistachios.
- Chop the nuts and raisins. Add nuts to the warm milk.
- Pour the mixture into matka moulds.
- Cover with cling wrap and place in a freezer to set.
- Freeze for 8 hours.
- Remove from freezer, allow to stand for a few minutes and serve.