Fenugreek flavored crisp savory discs
Mathris are one of the most loved tea time snacks in India. They keep for a long time and often become travel time companions. There are many flavours, many sizes to the mathri but essentially it remains the same! These also make a part of the wedding goodies made to be shared with friends and relatives!
- 2 cups Refined flour
- 1tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1tbsp dry Fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 5 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee)
- 1tsp pepper corns
- Refined vegetable oil to deep fry
- Crush the pepper corns very coarsely.
- Take flour in a bowl, add salt, carom seeds, kasoori methi, pepper corns and mix well.
- Add five tablespoons of melted clarified butter and rub well between your fingers to get a flaky mixture.
- Add sufficient cold water and bring together into a hard dough.
- Cover and rest the dough for fifteen minutes.
- Divide the dough into twenty-four equal balls and flatten them slightly.
- Press lightly the center with your thumb to make a slight depression. Prick with a fork.
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan.
- Slide in the mathris and deep-fry on medium heat till golden and crisp.
- Drain and place on an absorbent paper.
- Cool completely & store in airtight tins.