Flat savory discs flavored with carom seeds
Papri is not just a savory tea time snack but also an excellent any time munchy. It is an integral part of the ‘Chat’ platter and a carry along snack for travels. It also forms a part of all the festivity goodies made on occasions like Holi, Diwali, Eid, and also forms a part of the ‘Baina’, the food goodies send along with the bride to the groom’s family. It is especially to be enjoyed with pickles!
- 500g Refined Flour
- 6tbsp Clarified Butter (Desi Ghee)
- 1tsp Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Rub the clarified butter into the flour.
- Add Carom seeds, Salt, and little water to prepare stiff dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth and leave aside for 30 minutes.
- Do not knead too much.
- Divide into tiny balls and roll out on a floured surface into 1″ diameter roundels, make tiny cuts in between or poke with a fork to avoid puffing.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan and deep fry the discs on low heat until done.