Sweet crisp sugar coated biscuits
Here is a recipe for a favorite tea time snack! Shakkar pare are sugar coated pieces of doughy goodness! They are a special favorite on the occasion of Holi and also in North India, Shakkar Pare are a part of the ‘Baina’- sweet goodies sent to the groom’s family along with many other sweets. These are later distributed by the groom’s family among their friends and relatives!
- 1 cup Refined flour
- 1/4 cup Semolina
- 3tbsp melted Clarified butter (Desi ghee)
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup Water
- Oil for frying
- 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1tbsp Powdered Sugar
- Add semolina, powdered sugar and clarified butter to the flour.
- Mix in the butter so the dough resembles a crumbly mixture.
- When the dough is a crumbly mixture, take some and hold tight for 2 seconds in your palm and form a fist.
- If the dough holds, the butter added to it is enough.
- Add 1/3 cup water, a few tablespoonful at a time to form a very firm dough till all of water is added.
- The amount of water may vary depending on the quality of flour and the amount of clarified butter in the dough.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough once more to make it pliable.
- Divide it into two parts and make smooth balls out of them.
- Roll the balls into 8 inch circles or ½ inch thickness. Pierce the circles with a fork at 1 cm distance to prevent the dough from puffing up when fried.
- Cut the circle into diamonds or squares of ½ inch thickness.
- Separate carefully with the blunt side of knife.
- Heat the oil. Add the squares to medium hot oil and reduce the heat.
- Fry on low heat till golden pink and drain on a paper towel. Allow to cool.
- Add sugar to 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Keep simmering till a 2 string syrup is formed.
- Remove from heat and quickly add all the fried pare. Mix gently and quickly with the syrup as it will dry fast.
- When all the pare are coated, spread them on large plate to cool.
- Once cooled, break apart the pieces which are joined together.
- Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.