Sweet tomato chutney with Panch Phoran tempering
This is a childhood flavor recreated for me! The tomato chutney is almost like a tomato jam with the difference in the texture and the flavor of the tempering spices- Panch Phoran.
Panch phoran is a mix of five different spices- equal quantities of cumin, nigella, fennel, mustard and fenugreek seeds. This, chili powder to add the heat, salt and sugar is all that is added to get an absolutely delicious chutney!
The chutney can be stored refrigerated for about a month.
- 4 cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1tsp panch phoran
- 1tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the panch phoran spices and allow the spices to splutter.
- Add the sugar, salt, chili powder and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 18- 20 minutes or till the chutney acquires a glazed look.
- Stir occasionally to ensure even mixing.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasoning.
- Cool and store in clear glass bottles.