Vrat Ka Dhokla
Dhokla made with Jungle rice
Sawa rice or sama rice, is a jungle rice that is a weed and therefore not a cultivated grain. Therefore, it can be consumed during the Navratri fast. This recipe is a steamed cake made with the rice and therefore much healthier and lighter!
For the dhokla:
- 1 cup sama ke chawal/ jungle rice (awnless barnyard grass)
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Rock salt to taste
For the tempering:
- 3-4 green chilies slit length wise
- 3-4 springs curry leaves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1.5 cup water
- Soak the rice in the buttermilk and salt for 4 hours.
- Make a batter of the rice by blending it in mixer or food processor.
- Mix well and pour into a greased plate or steaming vessel. Steam till set and cooked. (approx. 20 minutes)
- Let it cool completely. Then cut it in squares.
- For the tempering, heat oil in a pan.
- Add the chilies and curry leaves and stir them to let them cook and release their aroma. Pour water and add the sugar, let it come to a soft boil.
- Take off the heat, add the lime juice and pour over the steamed dhokla.
- Let the sweet and sour water soak in, it will all disappear within 5 minutes.
- The dhokla will swell up so make space for them by removing a few from the plate.
- Serve at room temperature.