Baked custard made with eggs and milk
Creme Caramel, or milk leche, or custard flan, is an international favourite. The variation of names is a testament to how far reaching across the globe this favourite dessert really is.
This is a custard that is truly smooth, silky, velvety dessert, which will want you eating more! It truly is delicious and one of my personal favorites!
- ½ cup sugar
- 3eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 2 ½ cups very warm milk
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Heat 1/2 cup sugar in heavy saucepan until sugar is melted and turns golden brown.
- Immediately divide the sugar syrup among six ramekins.
- Tilt the ramekins to coat bottoms before the caramel hardens.
- Whisk together the eggs, 1/3 cup sugar, the vanilla in medium bowl.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Divide the milk mixture over hardened caramel in the ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a 3” deep pan.
- Pour very hot water into pan to reach halfway up the cups.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until knife inserted near the centre comes out clean.
- Remove cups from water and cool 30 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To unmold, carefully loosen side of custard with a sharp knife.
- Place dessert dish or plate on top of cup and, holding tightly, turn dish and cup upside down.
- Shake cup gently to loosen custard. Caramel syrup will run down sides of custard, forming a sauce.