Rice with curd tempered with curry leaves and mustard seeds
If there is one dish that helps to beat the fieriness of the Deccan Food and its Climate, it is the Curd Rice or Thayir Sadam! It is the perfect ending to each meal and helps to keep the stomach ‘calm’! The cooling effect of the tempered curd and rice helps beat the heat and scores high on taste and flavor too! It goes well as a breakfast dish too and is best served with papad, pickle or chutney.
- 3tbsps vegetable cooking oil
- 1cup rice
- 21/2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup sour yogurt
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1tsp husked black gram (urad dal)
- 3 dry red chilies
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Cook the rice till done and allow to cool down.
- Mix the yogurt in the rice and add salt to taste.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the urad dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilies.
- Cook till the chilies are almost black.
- Add this mix to the rice and stir well.
- Serve with a pickle or chutney.