Slow cooked whole black lentils with red kidney beans
Dal makhani is one of the most consumed restaurant dishes in the Indian Restaurants! It’s thick, creamy, rich and melt in your mouth goodness comes from slow cooking of the dal for hours! The recipe shared here is a family recipe I learnt from my grandmother. It’s been a hit everywhere!
- 1cup whole black gram
- 2tbsp red kidney beans
- Salt to taste
- 1tsp red chilli powder
- 2 inch ginger, chopped
- 4tbsp butter
- 1tbsp oil
- 1tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Green chillies, slit
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 1tsp garam masala powder
- ½ cup cream
- Soak the black gram (sabut urad) and red kidney beans (rajma) overnight in three cups of water.
- Drain the dal and pressure cook sabut urad and rajma in 4 cups of water with salt and half the ginger and garlic for 15 minutes.
- Open the lid and cook on low heat for about 2 hours till the rajma becomes soft.
- Add a little cream at a time till all the cream is used reserving a little for garnish.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan. Add ginger, garlic and onion and sauté till golden.
- Add slit green chillies, tomatoes puree and sauté on high heat.
- Add the remaining red chilli powder and sauté till oil floats on top.
- Add the cooked dal and rajma. Add some water if the mixture is too thick.
- Add garam masala powder and adjust salt.
- Simmer on low heat till the dals are totally soft and well blended.
- Serve hot garnished with a little cream.