Corn flour & Dry Fruit Halwa
I just love the chewy, sticky, Bombay Karachi Halwa! Bombay Karachi Halwa is a popular Indian sweet dish made with cornflour sweetened with sugar, ghee, flavored with cardamom and garnished with nuts. This is a Sindhi delicacy that is especially a favorite with kids.
- 1 cup Corn flour
- 1 liter water
- 2 cup sugar
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- A few drops of color
- ¼ cup ghee
- ¼ cup chopped cashew nuts
- Add 500 ml water to the corn flour and mix well.
- Heat together the remaining water and sugar in a pan over medium flame. Stir until fully dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to minimum boil add the corn flour mixture. Stir well continuously.
- When it starts to stick to the pan, add the lemon juice, colour and mix well.
- Divide the ghee into 3 parts.
- Add one part of the ghee and mix well.
- When all the ghee is incorporated, add in the second part of the ghee and mix in.
- Repeat till all the ghee is incorporated.
- When all the ghee is incorporated and it has reached a halwa consistency and leaves the sides of the vessel, add in the chopped nuts and mix well.
- Cook till the entire mixture comes together like a ball.
- Transfer to a greased tray. Pat to spread well and evenly.
- Sprinkle some chopped cashew nuts and allow it to set.
- Cut it into 2” squares and wrap each piece individually in cling wrap or butter paper.