Kashmiri Rogan Josh
Mutton cooked with yoghurt, spices and Kashmiri red chilli
This is another popular restaurant dish which now has many variants all over the world! Some cook it with onions, garlic, some even add tomatoes! But the truth is, the Kashmiri recipe uses neither of these. Rogan stands for the beautiful red coloured oil that floats atop this beautiful dish while ‘josh’ is the heat- both coming from the use of Kashmiri red chilies!
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time: 35 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Difficulty: medium
- Tag: Curries, Dinner Party, Eid, Father’s Day, Indian, Main Course, Mother’s Day, Mutton, New Year, One Pan, Party Food, Quick & Easy, Sunday Lunch
- 1 Kg meat on bone
- ½ Tsp. cinnamon powder
- ½ Tsp. green cardamom powder
- ½ Tsp. fennel powder
- ½ kashmiri Chilli powder
- ¼ tsp. clove powder
- 1/2 cup mustard oil
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamoms
- 1 tsp. pepper corns
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 tsp. dry ginger powder
- 2 Tbsp. kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp. rattan jot (optional)
- 2 cup yoghurt
- Marinate the meat with the powdered spices and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and bring to smoke point. Cool.
- To medium hot oil, add the rattan jot and saute for 30 seconds till it imparts its colour to the oil. Remove the rattan jot sticks.
- Add asafoetida, cinnamon stick, cardamoms, pepper corns and then the fennel seeds.
- Add the meat and turn till it is well coated with oil and is caramelised.
- Add the ginger powder and cook for a minute.
- Add the Red chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Whisk yoghurt well and add to the meat and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook over slow flame for about 1 hour or until the meat is cooked and the Rogan (Red coloured oil) should come on the surface.
- Serve with boiled or steamed rice.