Oil Free Pindi Chhole
An oil free version of the popular spicy Chickpea curry
My very special No Oil Pindi Chhole that taste even better! The secret…. freshly roasted and ground spices and slow steeping of the flavors! As ever, flavours stand out first.
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes + soaking time
- Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Difficulty: medium
- Tag: Curries, Dairy Free, Dal & Pulses, Dinner Party, Gluten Free, Indian, Kitty Party, Lohri, Lunch & Dinner, Main Courses, Sunday Lunch, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 250 gms Chickpea (Kabuli Chana)
- Tea Bag/ 1 tsp Tea Leaves tied in a muslin cloth
- a pinch Baking Soda
- Salt to taste
- tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp Carom Seeds
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 5 Green Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 5 dried Red Chillies
- 2 tsp dried Pomegranate Seeds
- A pinch Asafetida
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 4 Green Chilies
- 1tbsp thick Tamarind Paste
- Soak the chickpea over night or for 6 hours in plenty of water.
- Drain the water and Pressure cook the chickpeas with the tea leaves, baking soda and salt in 5 cups water till the chickpea is cooked and mushy when pressed between fingers.
- Roast together the Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds, Black peppers, Fennel seeds, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Bay leaf till fragrant.
- Remove from heat and add in the Carom seeds, Red Chilies and Pomegranate seeds that they may roast in the remaining heat. Add a pinch of Asafetida.
- Grind the spices in the mixer to make a fine powder.
- Finely chop the green chilies.
- Add the roasted spices to the boiled chickpeas.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and chopped green chilies to this.
- Cover and simmer the chickpea on slow fire for a total of 40-45 minutes. Till the flavors blend well.
- Finally add the tamarind paste and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve Hot garnished with onion rings, lemon wedges and green chilies.