Keema Matar Pie
Indian Style Mince Meat and Pea Pie
Inspired from the rustic Shepherd’s Pie, here is an Indian version good enough to grace any Table! The pie has for a filling, Indian style mincemeat cooked with spices and green peas. The pie crust and the curried mince pair very well together. This could also be an excellent way to use any leftover Keema matar!
Ingredients for the Keema Matar
- 250 g mutton mince
- ½ cup frozen green peasv
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 4 slit green chilies
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- ¼ nutmeg
- ½ flower mace
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
Ingredients for the Pastry
- 175 g Refined Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 85 g Chilled Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 egg white (to brush)
Method for the pastry
- Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt.
- Rub the butter in lightly with your fingertips till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the salt, egg yolk and 2 tbsp water and knead gently to make a dough.
- Wrap in cling film and place in a refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree centigrade.
- Roll out 3/4th of the chilled dough and use to line a 8 inch loose-bottomed flan tin.
- Prick the base all over with fork.
- Cover with greaseproof paper and fill with dried beans. Bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and paper and bake again for 10 minutes.
Method for the filling
- Grind together the nutmeg and mace to a fine powder and set aside.
- Heat the oil. Add the remaining whole spices to medium hot oil and allow them to turn fragrant.
- Add in the chopped onions and cook on medium heat till golden in colour.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, and saute till the raw ginger garlic smell disappears.
- Add the cumin powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, garam masala powder, mutton mince and saute, breaking lumps as you go.
- When the mince changes color, add the tomatoes, tomato puree, slit green chilies, green peas, 1 cup water and allow to cook till the mince is cooked and the sauce thickens.
- Add in the sugar and powdered nutmeg- mace powder and mix well, adjust the seasoning and add in the coriander leaves.
- Allow rot cool down slightly. This will also dry out the mixture a little.
- Spoon the keema mixture in the prepared pie base.
- Roll out the remaining ¼ th of the dough to a disc about the size of the pie.
- Cover the pie with the dough and trim of the edges. Make a small cross cut in the center for the steam to escape.
- Lightly beat the egg white with 1tsp water.
- Brush the top with the beaten egg and bake at 180*C in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes or till golden and crisp on the top.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before removing the pie from the flan tin.