Saffron flavored milk fudge balls
kesar peda is a classic sweet made for festive occasions. They are delicious and made with very few ingredients, khoya, milk and sugar, flavored with cardamom and saffron. This is a easy recipe to make.
- Serves: Makes 16
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Difficulty: medium
- Tag: Desserts, Diwali, Eid, Gluten Free, Holi, Indian, Lohri, Milk, Vegetarian, Wedding & Anniversary
- 500g Soft white milk fudge (khoya)
- 300gms sugar powdered
- ½tsp cardamom powder
- 1tsp cardamom seeds semi crushed
- 1tbsp slivered or crushed pistachios
- A few strands of saffron
- 1tbsp warm milk
- 2 drops saffron color (optional)
- Soak the saffron in warm milk.
- Crumble the khoya (milk fudge). If very hard, grate the fudge.
- Add powdered sugar and mix well.
- Put mixture in a large heavy or nonstick pan.
- Heat on medium high for a few minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook till soft and gooey.
- Make sure to stir continuously, while on heat.
- When mixture is thick and gooey, add cardamom and saffron.
- Add the color if desired.
- Mix well and take off fire. Allow to cool, gently turning occasionally.
- Use cookie molds, or shape pedas with palms into patty rounds.
- Mix pistachios and cardamom seeds and press a bit on top of each.
- If using molds, first sprinkle some at bottom.
- Take some mixture and press into mold. When set well, invert and carefully, unmold.