Rice cooked with vegetables & spices
The Tehri could be to the vegetarians what the biryani is to the non -vegetarians! It is packed with flavors, is simple, rustic and a comfort meal for many. Serve it with a good raita, chutney, papad and pickle and you have a complete meal ready!
- 2 cups rice
- 2 large onions
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 carrot
- ½ cup shelled peas
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 “cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp oil
- Soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- Peel and cut potatoes in cubes.
- Peel and finely slice the onions.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaves, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick and allow to splutter.
- Add in the sliced onions and sauté till golden.
- Add the powdered spices and mix in.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mix in. Sauté till the tomatoes turn pulpy and the oil comes to the surface.
- Add in the potatoes, cauliflower, carrots & peas and mix well.
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes on medium heat till the vegetables absorb the flavors and become a little tender.
- Drain the rice and add to the pan.
- Mix well and sauté the rice till the moisture disappears and the rice is also partially cooked.
- Add 4 cups water, salt to taste and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover and cook till the rice is cooked and all the moisture is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve hot.