Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato soup flavoured with fresh basil leaves
Here is a soup that tastes good chilled just as much it tastes good hot! Plum ripe tomatoes are cooked with basil and then enriched with cream. A pinch of sugar may be added to balance the tartness of the tomatoes.
- 900g ripe plum tomatoes
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 cups stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 2tbsp fresh shredded basil + few leaves to garnish
- 150ml cream
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 120 ml white wine (optional)
- Finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil and butter and oil together in a large saucepan until foaming.
- Add the onion and cook gently for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the chopped garlic and tomatoes.
- Then add the stock, sundried tomato paste and white wine (if using).
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat.
- Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Process the soup with the shredded basil in a blender till smooth.
- Pass through a sieve. Add the cream and heat on low heat. Do not boil.
- If the soup is too thick, add more stock.
- Garnish with basil and serve hot.
Tip: the same soup can be served chilled as well.