Baigan Ka Bharta
Mashed roast Aubergine and Peas dish from Punjab
There is something about Aubergines or brinjal that many love them while many can’t tolerate them! But to those who love them, the baigan ka bharta is an irresistible dish on the table. This is also a personal favorite and one of those dishes that my dad liked mine better than my mom’s!
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty: medium
- Tag: Curries, Dairy Free, Dinner for Two, Dinner Party, Father’s Day, Gluten Free, Indian, Lohri, Lunch & Dinner, Main Course, Mother’s Day, Side Dishes, Sunday Lunch, Vegan, Vegetables, Vegetarian, Wedding & Anniversary
- 2 medium sized aubergines (approx.300g)
- ¼ cup shelled peas
- 2 medium onions
- 4 plump cloves of garlic
- 1” piece ginger
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 green chilies
- Salt, to taste
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½tsp chili flakes
- ½tsp garam masala
- 3tbsp refined vegetable oil
- 2tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Roast the Aubergines over an open flame or in the oven at high temperature till the skin is charred.
- Wash the Aubergines under the tap water to remove the charred skin.
- Coarsely mash the roasted Aubergines.
- Finely chop the onions, green chilies and the garlic.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and the ginger.
- In a pan, heat the oil.
- To medium hot oil, add the cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add in the chopped onions and garlic.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until golden pink.
- Add the giner and saute another minute.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add all the spices and mix through.
- Add the aubergine, followed by the green chilies. Add the shelled peas.
- Reduce the heat and saute the mixture for 15-20 minutes until well reduced.
- Add salt to taste.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve.